Thursday 7 August 2014

Religion is so $#@%&*! stupid

I've been called a lot of things because of my belief in God and the life I live as a result of it. Some people call me sweet, or kind, or compassionate. Some people call me dedicated or interesting. Some people think that it's "cool" or they say "well that's good for you". Some people treat that area of my life with complete indifference and that is just fine and good with me. But my all-time fav is when people call me so $#@%&*! stupid. 

According to these people, religion and people that adhere to any belief system are so $#@%&*! stupid because obviously religion is a man made trap that has caused nothing but conflict in the world. They think it's so $#@%&*! stupid that someone would spend their life following the idea that some supernatural, unexplained power exists. The definitely find it so $#@%&*! stupid that anyone still goes to church these days. Like, c'mon guys, grow up and stop being so $#@%&*! stupid. 

Of course, if someone holds these aforementioned views, they have every right to. And I love talking to people of different faiths and philosophical backgrounds, because those conversations always yield new understandings. However, people that have philosophical ideas counter to mine often regard my ideas as being incorrect in some way but rarely, if ever, refer to them as being so $#@%&*! stupid. Because calling anything so $#@%&*! stupid often leads to less than intellectually stimulating conversations. In fact, calling things so $#@%&*! stupid often leads to the creation and perpetuation of negative attitudes towards certain people. 

The Spanish conquistadors thought than Incas in South America were so  $#@%&*! stupid. The Nazi regime thought that the Jewish population were so  $#@%&*! stupid. The Crusaders thought that Muslims in The Holy Lands were so $#@%&*! stupid. The slave traders in the United States considered people of colour to be so $#@%&*! stupid. The conservative Christian community considered people in the gay community to be so $#@%&*! stupid. 

Now that is really $#@%&*! stupid. 

You know whats really $#@%&*!  nice though? When people treat other people with mutual respect despite their differences. When people can have the understanding that maybe they don't see other peoples perspectives. When people can put aside their arrogance and consider the possibility that maybe the way they live their lives isn't actually so much better than those around them. Cause ya never know, you might be wrong. I might be wrong. We could all be wrong. 

When you call something so $#@%&*! stupid, you are perpetuating the negative attitudes that have caused problems worldwide since the beginning of time. 



The only thing in this world that is so $#@%&*! stupid is when anyone says that anything is so $#@%&*! stupid. So how about everyone just respectfully agrees to disagree and instead we're nice to each other. 

Bye.

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I like the outdoors, ice cream, and my pet bunny. I enjoy long walks on the beach and intellectually stimulating conversations. But mostly I'm just a cuddler.